Step by Step to getting started with Permit
The Permit and Licensing Test –
The closest permit and licensing facility vary depend on location that you live. It is open from 7:30amto 4:30pm, Tuesday – Saturday, but is not open Sunday or Monday. An appointment is necessary for the licensing test only. Please check with individual facilities because times may vary from one location to another.
You may not take the permit test until you are at least sixteen years of age.
The Permit Test
In order for a prospective driver to take the permit test in Pennsylvania, an applicant must have the following documents and forms:
1. A State Issued Birth Certificate, or other approved document to prove date of birth and identification.
2. Social Security Card. (Laminated Social Security Cards are not accepted).
3. Your completed Physical Examination Form – (DL-180).
4. A completed Parent or Guardian Consent Form – (DL-180 TD)
Permit applicants should be prepared to answer 18 multiple choice questions based on the Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual (Pub. 95), and take an eye test. If an applicant needs to wear corrective lens (glasses or contacts), the applicant must remember to wear or bring these items with him on permit test day.
If an applicant passes these tests, with parental permission and with a check or money order for $31.00, a learner’s permit will be issued. This $31.00 fee also pays for your photo, the first four years of your driver’s license and your permit. See the back of the medical form in the book for details.
A driver, who is at least 21 years of age and licensed, must always accompany a learning driver with a permit when he is behind the wheel. A permit must be held for a minimum of six (6) months, and a new driver must have a minimum of sixty-five (65) hours of actual driving experience before that driver is eligible to take the licensing test.
The License Test
After holding a permit for at least six (6) months, you may take your driving test. You must make an appointment to take the driving test. You may make an appointment by calling 783-0503 or 1-800-932-4600. You may also schedule the license test on line at:
To take the license test at the exam center, an applicant must have the following documents:
1. License of the Driver who accompanies you to the test site. (Must be at least 21)
2. Your permit.
3. The Insurance Card for the car you are taking the test in.
4. The Vehicle Registration Card for the car you are taking the test in.
5. Your parents will be required to sign a document verifying that you have had 50 hours of Behind the Wheel experience. (This form must be signed in front of the examiner).